Re: ssh -X (-Y) not working

Karl Pearson wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Bob McClure Jr wrote:

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 01:06:37PM -0600, Karl Pearson wrote:
I like remote managing my server using ssh -X or ssh -Y and then running
gui apps sometimes.

I've check workstation and server X11Forwarding yes and then restarted
sshd so don't know where else to go.

I've checked the logs and there's nothing about it. The error I get is:

[root@mail root]# system-config-printer
system-config-printer: could not open display
This is a graphical application and requires DISPLAY to be set.

or:

[karlp@mail ~/]$ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
xterm: DISPLAY is not set

Of course, the obvious is to set $DISPLAY, which doesn't work either.

Well, no, it needs to be set by sshd.  If you "ssh -X host.onthe.net",
when you get a shell prompt, you should be able to

$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

Nope, it's empty...

in the usual case.  Any problems should be evident in
/var/log/messages or /var/log/secure.

Logging in works, and the logs show that, but there's nothing about forwarding anomalies. There is an entry about DNS lookup failed for my IP. Should I set secure forwarding on?

Check also your ~/.Xauthority file on the distant server.  Permissions
should be something like mine:

-rw------- 1 bob users 532 Sep 23 15:09 .Xauthority

You might try deleting it, then exit, and "ssh -X" in again.  It
should mention something about creating it.

Deleted. And... not recreated on next ssh in... Hmmm?

I've seen blogs, threads and other stuff all over the net and everything
says, enable X11Forwarding. I've done this for years and have never had
that not work. Using -X or -Y should even countermand that setting if it's
off, right?

Any ideas where to go next?

On your ssh client, enter "echo $DISPLAY" and make sure it displays
something to the effect ":0.0" (you ARE in an xterm, right?).  If it
doesn't, then there's something wrong with your local X.  That's step
one.  If you don't have $DISPLAY set locally, there's no way ssh can
communicate that to the sshd server, regardless of using "-X" or "-Y".

Next, check the remote machine's /etc/ssh/sshd_config and make sure that
both "AllowTcpForwarding yes" and "X11Forwarding yes" are set (they're
both set to "no" by default).  If you've changed either or both
settings, do "service sshd restart" before you log off the remote
machine to make the changes "take".

Now, if the local "echo $DISPLAY" does display data, then "ssh -Y
remotehost" should get you to the remote.  Once on there, do another
"echo $DISPLAY" and it should show "localhost:10.0" or something very
similar (the ":10" bit is set by the "X11DisplayOffset" value in the
remote machine's /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and is 10 by default).  The
"localhost" bit indicates that X is being tunneled through the ssh
pipe.

Example on my machines:

[root@prophead ~]# echo $DISPLAY
:0.0
[root@prophead ~]# ssh bigdog
Last login: Tue Sep 23 17:26:51 2008 from prophead.hci.com
[root@bigdog ~]# echo $DISPLAY

[root@bigdog ~]# exit
logout
Connection to bigdog closed.
[root@prophead ~]# ssh -Y bigdog
Last login: Tue Sep 23 17:30:31 2008 from prophead.hci.com
[root@bigdog ~]# echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0
[root@bigdog ~]# exit
logout