Re: Fedora 9 -aarrrgggghh

Bret Stern wrote:
After installing Fedora 9, I'm feeling like it's
turning into the "Windows babysitting" model.

I have been using Fedora 6 for really solid ftp and
web services, and really don't like all the changes.

Fedora 6 was so solid; it gets pretty boring just watching
the servers run ..year..after..year...

How 'bout a pep talk on Fedora 9....or I just
downloaded FreeBSD, and feel this could be more
comfortable for this old timer.

Fedora 9 or 10 will become the new RHEL 6 in time.  F9 is a significant
change in a lot of baseline technologies, but deals more with the
desktop-type of system than servers: a new Xorg release, new versions
of Gnome and (and incomplete) KDE, enhanced support for various video
and audio cards, (supposedly) easier wireless networking...the list goes
on and on.

You could have said "Stop the evolution of Fedora" at any point. Many people did. F3 became RHEL4. F6 became RHEL5. Fedora is an evolving
beast...sometimes the evolution hits a dead end and it gets backed off.

I don't like where F9 went in some areas, and in fact only have it
running as a Xen DomU (guest) under an F8 Dom0 on an Opteron for testing
purposes.  Some of my observations:

a) NetworkManager is completely useless (and in fact is
counterproductive) if you have anything more than the simplest of
networking topologies. It's not configurable in any meaningful way.

b) I'm still rather unhappy with the spectacularly confusing PulseAudio
system, and it doesn't "play nice" with many applications (Skype, for
example).

c) I'm not thrilled with the new startup logic (there was NOTHING wrong
with inittab and the /etc/rc.d/rcx.d directory tree)...and I don't agree
with "changes for the sake of change").

d) KDE is V4.0 and it's MASSIVELY incomplete.  4.1 is around the corner,
but 4.0 is SO bad it never should have been released.

e) Most proprietary video drivers (are you listening nVidia?) were
incompatible with the new Xorg version.  This has gotten better in the
last few months, but Je-sus!

These complaints (and others) have been sent off to the development and
design teams.  I'm not an official member of the groups, but sort of an
interested (and vocal) spectator.  As with any evolving thing, not
everyone will be pleased with the directions it goes.  You can help
guide it by getting involved in the developers or testers group.  If you
don't get involved, you essentially have no cause to complain if it
doesn't go the way you want it to in exactly the same way you really
don't have a right to bitch about the government unless you get involved
and vote.

For a rock-solid server, stay with RHEL 5 or CentOS 5.  They won't be
EOL'd for quite a while and will work well.