What was the particular issue?  Running DHCP / iptables isn't that uncommon of a setup, so it would be interesting to hear the particulars.

Best regards,

--ron

On Mar 20, 2008, at 9:30 AM, Waldher, Travis R wrote:

From: Waldher, Travis R
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 8:48 AM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Firewall is loosing it's marbles

I've got a pretty strict firewall setup on a machine that acts as a gateway between a production environment and a test > > >
environment.

Users will log in to the box to access the test environment, the box is running RHEL5.  Once in, it's like the roach motel, no one > gets back out to the real world from the test world.

My firewall is working fine, but it seems to loose it's marbles and deny ssh but still allow pings from the outside after a day or > two.  Wiping out the tables and re-applying them corrects the issue but obviously this is a poor solution.

Has anyone else seen iptables partially stop working like this?

Answer: Firewall + DHCP = no worky so well.