Logical Volumes vs. Partitions - the way of things

Hello Mr. Stevens;

Firstly, I've admired and respected your insights, obviously deep
knowledge, and more than substantial contributions to this list for many
years. I've learned much in the process and still have a great deal more
to learn.

My comment and question: Logical Volumes offer much more capability, in a
number of ways, than old fashioned partitions do. However, many current
operating systems cannot boot from a logical volume. What can you share
with us about this paradox?

Afterword: I don't know enough about the current Linux offerings to know
whether or not any Flavor of Linux can boot from a Logical Volume, but I
do know that Windows, of any flavor, cannot.

Sincerely,
Dennis D. Calhoun, MCSA