Re: Boot messages

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 16:10 -0500, Fred Grant wrote:
> I see a stream of messages fly accross the screen when I boot.  At least
> one of them looks like a process failed.  What log can I read to see
> what happened?

There's a couple.  You can try /var/log/boot.log (some systems use it,
some don't) or /var/log/messages.  Also check the output of the "dmesg"
command.  Another option is to run the startup in interactive mode
(press "I" when the system prompts during boot).  For each startup
script, the system will ask you if you want to run it, skip it or go
back to "automatic" mode.  Run them one at a time and look at the output
of each.