upgrade?

I must be missing something...

I want to upgrade es3 to es4, or centos4.2 to centos4.4. I have almost no config invested in either box (apps and user dirs come from nfs), so a clean install is a viable option. indeed, it's what I've always done.

but I could upgrade instead, right? the first prompt says something about "install or upgrade".

o  can I upgrade while the os is running, as I can do with a kernel?

o  can I upgrade by booting from install media?

o  is there any difference between upgrading like this and just keeping
   packages up2date and then updating the kernel?

adv(thanks)ance

-chuck
--

 | charles e. lawrence | lawrence berkeley nat'l lab |

             www-eng.lbl.gov/~celawrence