how to read root mail from other machine on secure lan

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to allow access to my root mail account using
a pop email client on another machine on my LAN.

I can check the mail for another user on my Redhat 9 linux box, but not root.
Authentication fails.

I have managed to allow telnet login to root, but this did not work for
the mail account.

Can anyone give me any suggestions?
Thanks.

--
Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above page first!)
Plain text markup: *bold*, /italic/, _underline_, LOUD
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.