Re: compiling and linking issues

Ruchi,

If your 3rd party libraries are statically compiled,
The you need to install the 'gcc-compat' libraries.
That will allow you to link in the older libraries
with your new application.

However, if any of your 3rd party libraries are
shared libraries then it won't work.  You'll get
unresolved references to __ctype_b that can't
be resolved.  The way __ctype_b is
handled changed in the 'glibc' and so __ctype_b
was removed to prevent conflicts in RH 9.0.
Shared libraries built on older systems
expect to have it defined and you'll get an
error when you try to link them on your RH 9.0
system.

Kathy Bieltz

Cyber Chhaya wrote:

Hi,
  I am very new to Linux. I am trying to compile my
code on Red Hat 9 using gcc 3.2.3. I need to link to
3rd party libraries compiled on Red Hat 6.2 using gcc
2.95.1.
Is this possible if I copy over the system libraries
needed from Red Hat 6.2?

Thanks for your help!

Ruchi