RE: shell commands

$ uname -r
 will give the os version
-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-devel-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-devel-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of cheryl tan
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 9:11 AM
To: redhat-devel-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: shell commands

Good morning! We are currently developing a software for our undergraduate thesis.

I would like to ask for shell commands: (1.) for getting the Redhat Linux version currently installed; and (2.) for getting the directory/folder size

For #2, we have tried the [du -s foldername] command, but the size that we get from the shell prompt is not the same as when we right click on a folder and view its size.  We are currently using Redhat 7.2.

We hope you could shed some light on our problem.  Thank you.

- Cheryl Tan

Do you Yahoo!?