How to customize Linux rmdir system call

Hi,
I am trying to trap the rmdir system call. Instead of modifying the kernel
call, I decided to modify this call in user level. For that I installed
glibc-2.3.2-11.9.src.rpm in my redhat 9. I found the definition of rmdir in
the following files
\usr\src\redhat\BUILD\glibc-2.3.2-20030313\sysdeps\unix\rmdir.c
\usr\src\redhat\BUILD\glibc-2.3.2-20030313\sysdeps\generic\rmdir.c
But what ever changes I do in the above files those are not coming into
effect while compiling the library. During compilation glibc does not
compile the above files at all. Either my way of compilation may be wrong or
I am modifying a wrong file.
How should I compile glibc and which file I have to consider in order to add
some debug messages in rmdir call. So that whenever a directory is getting
deleted in my system, I will be knowing through the debug messages logged
into a file.
Can anyone help me ?
Thanking you in advance,
Linse Pallan