Re: Distro originated from RH9

On 4 Jun 2003, Vladimir Djokic wrote:

> 	Good day,
> 	People. I'm trying to build distro originated from RH9. I've managed to
> modify anaconda, but have a few other questions (legal):
>
> 	(1) kudzu says something like: 'Hardware probing tool...(C) 2003 Red
> Hat, Inc.'. I'm fine with leaving this Copyright notice, if it's legal,
> or should/can I change it to (if I modify the code) to something like:
> 'SVCDHF Linux hardware prober... (C) My company'?

Leave existing copyright notices in place. Ad yours if you feel your
changes warrant it.

> 	(2) I'm in process rebuilding RPMs, but can I change data in spec
> files, like description: '...these are SHVCDF init scripts...' (insted
> of "...Red Hat init scripts...'), and other data that is related to Red
> Hat, Inc.?

Read RH's trademark guidelines. Whatever you create, you can't describe
it as Red Hat Linux, and maybe you can't say it's "derived from RHL."

AFAIK using packages unaltered is fine.

--
Please, reply only to the list.