Re: Achieving binary compatibility for 7/8/9

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 01:03:54PM -0700, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> I see absolutely no reason for a statically linked binary to fail on any
> system, unless it is using network communication whose protocol has
> changed or a config file whose format has changed.
None of the above. gethostbyname () and other functions that reference
"databases" (passwd, group, hosts, ...) are abstracted via NSS modules,
which are shared libraries. The interface of NSS modules is changing
between different versions of glibc, so if you depend on NSS, static
linking is a problem.

The approach currently advocated seems to be to link statically only
libstdc++, not libc.
	Mirek