Re: Snappy compression algorithm for Reiser4.

21.09.2013 23:12, Evgeniy пишет:
Hello all,

Last few days I was playing a little bit around implementation Snappy
algo in Reiser4. My code is dirty and should be optimized. But it's
enough for testing.
According to my tests Snappy shows near the same prefomance as LZO. In
some kind of situations Snappy shows better compression with the less
CPU usage.
LZO has a few advantages over Snappy:
1) It's in kernel by default
2) It's optimized better then Snappy.
Also a very significant fact is we're plaing with small blocks of
data. In this case results of all algorithms looks near the same.

Maybe in the future I'll reqrite a little bit BratSinot's LZ4 patch
(http://sourceforge.net/p/reiser4/discussion/general/thread/780facb4/)
to make it use LZ4 library which is build-in kernel. Friendly
speaking, I'm not expect any big difference in comparison with LZO.
But in any case, it funny :)

Support of a new compression algorithm means a format change.
So, people with roots on reiser4 will be forced to fsck their partitions.
So, not so funny.  A visible advantage in some benchmarks is highly
desirable..

Thanks,
Edward.

If anybody want to test Snappy compression algo - let me know, I'll
make patches to kernel and reiser4progs.

Have a nice [the time of the day],
Thanks