Re: [patch 1/5] mm: add nofail variants of kmalloc kcalloc and kzalloc

On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 07:24 -0400, Ted Ts'o wrote:
> There are other places where we can fail safely (for example, in jbd's
> start_this_handle, although that just pushes the layer up the stack,
> and ultimately, to userspace where most userspace programs don't
> really expect ENOMEM to get returned by a random disk write

While talking with Chris about this, if you can indeed push the error
out that far you can basically ensure this particular fs-op does not
complicate the journal commit and thereby limit the number of extra
entries in your journal, and thus the amount of memory required.

So once stuff starts failing, push out ops back out of the filesystem
code, force a journal commit, and then let these ops retry. There is no
need to actually push the -ENOMEM all the way back to userspace.