Re: sending mail to a server alias from a local email account doesn't work

As someone else wisely suggested, the logs on both the sending mail server (whatever thunderbird is talking to) and your would-be receiving server are the place to start.  I would also add that it's somewhat likely that the llnl.gov mail server is configured to accept *@*.llnl.gov as local to itself, so it may never try to resolve your hostname and deliver the message.

----- Original Message -----
From: redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx <redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'General Red Hat Linux discussion list' <redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue Mar 16 19:28:17 2010
Subject: sending mail to a server alias from a local email account doesn't work

I configured sendmail on RHEL 5.4.
I can send mail when I'm logged into the RHEL machine to
root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and I recieve the mail in my Thunderbird inbox since I have
root defined in /etc/aliases to go to martini1@xxxxxxxxx

But when I try to send a message from my Thunderbird inbox
email system on a different machine to root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I never receive it.

Is there some other configuration I need to do with sendmail
in order for this to work? I want to be able to send mail
from any reader on any machone to aliases that are defined on this RHEL
5.4 machine.

Thanks.
Dave Martini
LLNL