How do I tell RedHat that I have deleted packages and don't want YUM to put them back

Hi,

I'm running a web server Enterprise 5.x and it had the distro version (5.1.6) of PHP which, unfortunately, is too old a version for WordPress which requires at least PHP 5.2.x and so I built that from source.  The problem I have is when I run updates since the update process will replace the libphp5.so Apache module which, in turn, breaks WordPress.  My solution was to erase the distro PHP packages and what I want to make sure is that yum doesn't put them back the next time RedHat updates one of them.

So, is the fact that they're erased sufficient in itself or do I need to run some other program update the machines profile at RedHat?

Thanks,

Rob Tanner
Linfield College