Re: Live upgrade from RHEL 5.7 to RHEL 6.2

On 03/30/12 07:36, Christina Salls wrote:
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Grzegorz Witkowski<geslinux@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Christina Salls
<christina.salls@xxxxxxxx>wrote:

     I have just completed a live upgrade from RHEL 5.7 to RHEL 6.2.  My
system seemed to boot up fine, watching the console output.  I cannot,
however, access the console through the mouse or keyboard.  I can ssh
in and looking at /var/log/messages, it seems as though it recognized the
keyboard and mouse:

Red Hat does not support in-place upgrades between any major versions of
Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Well... except fedora has been doing that for some time, and I expect it to show up in RHEL within a couple of years (which is why we've started partitioning new systems with 500M or 1G of /boot, instead of 100M).

Thanks for your response.  I understood when I started this experiment that
RedHat does not support in place upgrades.  I am updating a cluster with a
complicated and difficult to replicate Cluster Manager from SGI.  They
recommended the upgrade in place.  I was just looking for some
troubleshooting advice on the mouse/keyboard issue.

Oy. I've been doing a good number of upgrades in place, sorta. I take a similar box that's already built, then create /boot/new and /new, rsync -HPavxz everything except a few things over, make sure to copy over some things - ifcfg-eth*, /etc/ssh/ssh_host*, etc, and edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant-net.rules - then invoke zsh, files/zmodload (? I'm not at work yet, so I don't have my checklist to refer to), then mkdir /old /boot/old, go over and move * old, then lost+found, then old/new/*, sync, and reboot. Some times, before I do that, I'll rebuild the initrd, if the machine is different than the source.

This way, if necessary, I can go back, and I've got everything still in place to refer to or copy.

For your specific problem, not sure what to say. Have you tried pulling the keyboard and mouse out, waiting 20 sec, and plugging them back in, to see if it would wake up?

Oh, one more question: are you running at runlevel 3 or 5?
<snip>
	mark