Re: Redhat linux server resource monitoring

on aix; I pretty much use native tools (vmstat, iostat & topas) for server
resource monitoring.
I have scheduled a cron job to have nmon capture server resource
utilization at 5 minute intervals.  This data can be used with
nmon-analyzer to generate graphs.  On days where performance issues are
reported; nmon graphs is a good thing to share with the team for cpu,
memory, paging and network.

Most of my IBM hardware runs virtual machines.  While nmon is mostly used
to get the server resource utilization for any given day; ganglia is good
tool that gives graphs over a week, month and year.  Also ganglia is good
for virtualized/clustered environments as there are graphs that stack up
the resource utilization of all the virtual machines/nodes.  This helps us
to quickly determine if there is capacity to host more virtual machines or
not.  For a clustered environment it helps to determine if the load is
evenly distributed and if all the available resources of a cluster are
maxed out or not.