RE: How to configure sshd to automatically do port forwarding

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Fran Garcia
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2011 6:21 PM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: How to configure sshd to automatically do port forwarding

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 23:19, Allen, Jack <Jack.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello:
>
>        I have an Application needs to connect to other systems, login
> run an Application and then transfer data to the other Application. This
> has been working via a program I wrote years ago called ptsd (Pseudo
> Terminal Server). Basically the ptsd program listens on a local port
> (127.0.0.1 20000). The Application open a connection to it and then ptsd
> prompts for some information and then makes a telnet connection to the
> other system and then just becomes a pipe, but handling the telnet
> protocol on one side of it.

You can accomplish this using a config file in the _client_ host, ie:

user@client ~ #  cat .ssh/config
Host remotehost
Localforward 20000  localhost:20000

# ssh remotehost
(connect to port 20000 on clienthost and your connections will be crypted :-))

HTH

[Jack Allen] Thanks for the information, but I think you have misunderstood my requirement. The Application cannot execute ssh, it must just establish a plain TCP connection to a local TCP port and then have a program automatically start a ssh connection to the remote system. And user will be doing this through the Application and the Application will automatically do it at scheduled times. So it needs to look something like this.

Application <-simple-> (Local TCP port, Program or ssh) <-secure-> Remote System

-----
Thanks:
Jack Allen