Re: Some info given by 'mdadm --detail --export' are not convenient to use

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:01:49 +0200 Francis Moreau <francis.moro@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm writing a tool that relies udev lib in order to manage block
> devices connected to my computer.
>
> One thing that I need is to retrieve disks contained by a RAID array.
>
> The current usefull information exported by udev are, for example:
>
> MD_DEVICES=3
> MD_DEVICE_loop0p1_DEV=/dev/loop0p1
> MD_DEVICE_loop0p1_ROLE=0
> MD_DEVICE_loop1p1_DEV=/dev/loop1p1
> MD_DEVICE_loop1p1_ROLE=1
> MD_DEVICE_loop2p1_DEV=/dev/loop2p1
> MD_DEVICE_loop2p1_ROLE=2
>
> but this is not really easy to exploit since I need to know the disk
> names in order to poke the devices used by the array :-/
>
> why not simply using ?
>
> MD_DEVICE_DEV_1=/dev/loop0p1
> MD_DEVICE_ROLE_1=0

What number would I use for spare devices?
Certainly something like this could be done, but it wasn't.

Maybe what you are really asking is:

"Could we please have another record which lists all the devices, e.g.
  MD_DEVICE_LIST=loop0p1 loop1p1 loop2p1
??"

Obviously you can extract that from the output above, but it might be easier
to have it explicitly.

Would that meet your need, or have I misunderstood you completely?

NeilBrown