Nvidia Raid5 Failure

Hi Folks,

My computer suddenly shut down due to a failed memory module - damaging the 1.8TB RAID5 array of three disks.

The computer was able to boot with a degraded array (Windows 7 OS was on the array) but I was unable to get the array to rebuild using the Nvidia toolset - either at BIOS level or in Windows 7. Now the computer will not boot from the array.

I had something very similar to this happen a few weeks ago when the mother board failed - I was able to limp things along to get a backup of all important data.

I am interested to know if LINUX will be able to recover the array for me this time. Having got part way through this process before on the previous failure (which led me to this forum), I am keen to follow this through as an exercise knowing I have a backup of the really important stuff.

I intend to build LINUX onto a new disk and work through this in the coming days - what would be my best choice of distro for this exercise? I am hoping to find something that has all the relevant tools and is relatively simple to get up and running with a friendly GUI to help me navigate round.

I used to work on various databases running on UNIX servers so I hope I can still can find my way round a terminal window.

Thanks in advance for any support anyone can offer me!

Regards,

Peter.