Re: MD on raw device, use unallocated space anyway?

On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 20:38 +0000, Mathias Burén wrote:
> On 10 January 2014 20:10, Wilson Jonathan <piercing_male@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > In that case the answer would be no. However if fail/remove the 3TB
> > drive, then partitioned the drive as 2TB and 1TB and then added the 2TB
> > partition back into the array then you can use the 1TB on its own...
> > just as long the "2TB" partition is the same size as the 2TB drives (or
> > slightly bigger) then it should all work nicely.
> >

> Thanks, that confirms my suspicions. I wanted to avoid this (as a
> rebuild would be required) but it's the only way, I suppose. Unless I
> upgrade to 3TB all around and gain some storage.

The only re-build would be onto the now partitioned disk (a re-sync) so
any existing data would be un-changed.

If you replaced the other drives then you would either need to
fail/remove a drive, then add in the new 3tb drive and allow it to
re-sync, then replicate 1 by 1 till all replaced then perform a grow...
or build a new array from scratch.

Having done a similar 1/1 replacement over a number of drives reciently,
not without incident, I personally would go for a from scratch new build
if I did it again saving both time and potential mistakes.