Re: Raid 6--best practices

On 20/01/12 2:16 PM, Shain Miley wrote:
Mathias,
Thank you very much for the helpful advice.

Shain

From: Mathias Burén [mathias.buren@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:06 PM
To: Shain Miley
Cc: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Raid 6--best practices

On 20 January 2012 02:54, Shain Miley<SMiley@xxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hello all,
I have been doing some research into possible alternatives to our
OpenSolaris/ZFS/Gluster file server.  The main reason behind this is,
due to RedHat's recent purchase of Gluster, our current configuration
will no longer be supported and even before the acquisition, the upgrade
path for the OpenSolaris/ZFS stack was murky at best.

The current servers in question consist of a total of 48, 2TB drives.
My thought was that I would setup a total of 6 RAID-6 arrays (each
containing 7 drives + a spare or a flat 8 drive RAID-6 config) and place
LVM + XFS on top of that.

My questions really are:

a)    What is the maximum number of drives typically seen in a RAID-6
setup like this?  I noticed when looking at the Backblaze blog, that
they are using RAID-6 with 15 disks (13 + 2 for parity).  That number seemed
kind of high to me....but I was wondering what others on the list thought.

b)    Would you recommend using any specific Linux distro over any other?
Right now I am trying to decide between Debian and Ubuntu....but I would be open to
any others...if there was a legitimate reason to do so (performance, stability, etc) in terms of the Raid codebase.

Thanks in advance,

Shain

Hi,

Personally I wouldn't use more than 10 HDDs in a RAID6 setup (+ spare
perhaps). Regarding the choice of distribution, it doesn't matter
really. Pick the one you're comfortable with.

Good luck!

/M

Whilst I love Debian, I find the release schedule a bit frustrating. If you can hold off until May (a big stretch for projects wanting to go now, I know), then it may be worth looking at Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and get 5 years of supported OS.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseSchedule

Just a thought. Get Debian stability and Ubuntu long term support.

Cheers,

Josh