Re: recovery from multiple failures

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012, Phil Turmel wrote:

- From what I can see, you should use "--assemble --force".  The wiki does
not recommend this, but is wrong.  There is no advantage to "--create
- --assume-clean" in this situation, and opportunities for catastrophic
destruction.  Only if "--assemble --force" fails, and not from "device in use"
reports, should you move to "--create".

I totally agree here. People generally go to --create way too early in the recovery process, partly due to several recommendations out there on wikis and other guides. I've seen numerous people wreck their data due to getting this wrong (order or offset wrong, or forgetting --assume-clean and forgetting to go read-only on fsck, etc).

Does someone have some history on the reason for this recommendation, and do we have consensus on the recommendation that --assemble --force is *always* better to try before going to --create --assume-clean?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx