Re: Software raid, booting and bios

Op 20-05-11 09:19, Simon Mcnair schreef:
> I have not come across a pc which does not allow you to boot a
> secondary drive before... Please can you read  the manual and triple
> check this ?  The only possible reason I can think this would happen
> Is that you're using an add on board and you would configure this from
> a secondary bios. My Dell, Asus, and all other motherboards I've had
> over the past 10 years all allow a second device.

You can select the "boot device priority" where you can choose about
devices types (DVD, harddisk, USB, network) but you can choose only one
SATA disk. Study it, and you will see I am right. I've asked it to my
rackserver-vendor, they say: "that's always the case".

But I think I have had systems in the past, what could do it. An
interesting question is then: how well is it tested?  What when e.g. a
disk boots, and then gives an I/O error? I am looking for a well-tested
way to solve this, and I am willing to pay for it or choose another
hardware vendor for it.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.