Re: polishing up mdadm manpages: mdassemble(8), mdmon(8)

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 03:08:11 +0000 Christoph Anton Mitterer
<calestyo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Recently I've started to read into MD/mdadm and what started then as
> maintaining a quilt patch with several typos and so ended up in a somewhat
> "bigger" rework.

Thanks for putting this effort in...
However just getting a new copy of the file isn't much use.
Patches are really required.  Preferably several patches if there
are several different sorts of changes, as I might want to accept
some but not others.

Of course I could create the patch my - it looks like you
start from the verison in the 3.2 release - correct?

> - The text iself is (hopefully) largely the same, perhaps apart from some
> wording, or ordering.
> - More consistent usage of markup:
>   -bold for programs, options, files, manpage references (except in the
> SEE ALSO section) and text the is somehow set or "entered"
>   -italitcs (which is typically displayed as underlined) for any
> non-terminals.

Being consistent is good, but using \fB \fI etc is not.
Convention (as I understand it) prefers .B .I etc.
There are a variety of programs around which convert man pages to
other formats and I trust the ".B" tags to be handled more reliably.

> - Consistent writing of words like Linux, RAID, program names (which were
> previously off mixed) apart from those places where they're options (e.g.
> raid1 is still raid1 and not RAID1 for the --level option).

A patch which just made a change like this would certainly be appreciated.

> - Completely rewritten the formatting of the manpage (the dozens of .B, .I
> ... just to format one word made the source file really unreadable IMHO).
>
> In mdmon(8) there were some places where changed things that could
> possibly changing the semantics:
> - mdadm --remove <container> <victim>   =>   mdadm --remove CONTAINER
> DEVICE

That looks OK.

> - with  a metadata version string "external:<metadata name>"   =>   with a
> metadata format string "external:format"
> - .pid and .sock files   =>   PID and socket files

Maybe... The ".pid" and ".sock" are file name extensions.  If your change
were made (which quite possibly improves readability) it might then me
necessary to say something explicit about extensions.

> I wasn't sure about the following so didn't change it:
> - <disk>/state - faulty
>   Is <disk> a non-terminal for a device (and thus should I replace it with
> an italics "device"?

<disk> here is a non-terminal.  Actually it probably should be

  rdNN/state
where NN is the slot number in the array.

> - (for example, the metadata version has been set to "external:-dev/md127"
> instead of "external:/dev/md127")
>   Is the "version" correct here?

It should be "metadata_version" which is a literal file name.

> I've also started to rewrite md(4), mdadm(8) and mdadm.conf(5) manpges...
> - unifying many further writings of words like "read-only/readonly",
> "read-write/readwrite", etc. pp.
> - etc.
> but I'm not sure if/when I can finish them.

If you have discrete patches for each change, then feel free to send what
you manage, whether it is finished or not.

> Sorry for not sending a (easily reviewable) patch, but there were so many
> changes (in the line wrapping and so), that this did not make much sense.
> Please tell me whether you like and will apply it, so that I can continue
> with the remaining manpages.
> Anyway, if you merge them, please _really_ read them again for
> mistakes/typos I might have accidentally added...!
>

> Thanks,
> Chris.

NeilBrown