Re: Software RAID 6 initial sync very slow

thomas62186218@xxxxxxx wrote:
Thank you Bill and Richard for your responses.

In sync_speed_max, I had already set it to 250000 (250MB/sec). For sync_speed_min, I have 249900 set. My rational behind doing this was to "force" it to go as fast as it can. Any problem with this?

Other than possibly totally killing your response if you use some other raid levels, no. I usually set the min speed to something I can tolerate in the background, and still have a useful system.

However, adjusting stripe_cache_size did improve performance. It was 256 at first, and my sync rate was 28MB/sec. When I increased it to 4096, my sync rate jumped to 38MB/sec. Then I increased it to 16384, and it jumped again to 40MB/sec. Increasing stripe_cache_size above that did not seem to have any effect.

You definitely hit diminishing returns on cache_size. There are people on this list who swear by 32k or 64k, but even when I can spare the memory I don't see any benefit to looking for that last tiny gain.

My question then is, how do I set the stripe_cache_size at the time of md creation? I would rather set it then, as opposed to having to echo stripe_cache_size variable with a new setting. In other words, where is this default value of 256 coming from? Thanks all!!

rc.local is my usual choice for things like that, and if you want to really spend a lot of time chasing performance, be aware that you can use blockdev to play with readahead on the devince and filesystem, and generally spend days trying to create a test which will show benefits in a statistically valid manner. Add chunk size and knock yourself out. I am convinced that the answer to better performance is "it depends," so just boosting readahead and cache_size a bit usually gets 80-90% of anything you can get with tons of playing.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still