Re: Abstraction library

David McGlone wrote:
Hi everyone I got a quick question. I'm wondering if anyone is using a
DB abstraction layer such as PEAR DB. I've used PEAR DB in the past and
knew it's been on it's way to extinction, but never looked into
alternatives or any other way to replace it. Now this has come back to
bite me in the rear and I don't know what to do. Is PEAR useful anymore
at this point? Am I better off just writing my own? I hate the thought
of having to change my habits I've had for so long, but I guess that's
how it has to be. Maybe I should have rolled my own in the first place
and I wouldn't have had to rely on something that's not guaranteed :-/

Pear DB was superseded by MDB2 http://pear.php.net/package/MDB2 but that has not been updated in the last year. PDO is a half way house to an abstraction layer and while it is having minor bug fixes, it is not really abstraction layer, only a different way of interfacing to the drivers. It does nothing for I'm still using ADOdb http://adodb.sourceforge.net/ which I've had no problems with in the last 10 years and on the whole transparently switches between databases ( including PDO drivers if you want ;) ). It even includes it's own cache which can help with repetitive stuff. It is still actively supported, and is used by a number of large projects.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL