From: Bastien [phpster@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 4:19 PM
To: Jason Pruim
Cc: php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Working with large datasets

On 2011-10-10, at 11:30 AM, Jason Pruim <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>

> I am working with a database that has close to 8 million records in it and it will be growing. I have a state field in the data, and I am attempting to test some query's on it, all but 2 records right now have the same state.
>
> My test info won't get pulled up... I believe it keeps timing out the connection.
>
> Is there any advice for working with large datasets? I'm wanting this to be able to load quickly.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> Jason Pruim
> lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> --

Assuming mysql, what is the my.conf set for? Check that you are using the large dataset one. By default it's usually a small one. That will give you more memory and sort spaces work with the data.

We routinely handle 8-10mm records and it's not tough. The tricks are

1: ensure enough sort space
2: ensure enough memory for large sets
3: ensure about php memory for results
4: try to add additional filters to reduce the data sets. A cardinality of two on a status will always return tons of records and you want to reduce that, maybe with a date range

Bastien Koert
905-904-0334