Oracle syntax

Hi list.  I am a newbie and would like to ask if anyone could give me the
proper syntax for connecting with oracle DB.  For example with MySQL it is:
mysql_connect..., mysql_query...
For MS SQL Server:
mssql_connect..., mssql_query...

What would be for oracle?

TIA

RS

recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying
to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.