Re: Convert HTML Table to Tab Delimited .TXT file

--- dpgirago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've used the header function before for redirection with success,
> but in
> the current situation I'm not sure where to put the 2 calls to it.
> I'm
> making the web page on the fly -- querying the dB, writing out the
> string
> including html tags and the query result, using fopen to create the
> file,
> then using Javascipt to open a browser window displaying the just
> created
> page. So far I've either gotten the 'can't send headers, output
> already
> started' error message, or I've gotten the GUI page itself opened
> up in
> excel, interesting effect but not the intention ;-)
>
> Does anyone have an idea where to try putting the header calls
> given the
> above set-up?

If you're calling a PHP page from Javascript, then you should put the
headers before anything is sent to the browser on that PHP page. For
example,

<?php
header("Content-type: application/octet-stream");
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=excelfile.xls");
?>
<TABLE>
<TR><TD>Header 1</TD><TD>Header 2</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>R1C1</TD><TD>R1C2</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>R2C1</TD><TD>R2C2</TD></TR>
</TABLE>

The table creation can all be done in PHP as well.

If you're building the page using document.write(), things might be
more complicated...

> Thanks,
>
> dave
>
> > Wow, thanks. I'm gonna give this a try right now.
>
> > dave
>
> > Mark Weinstock at mark_weinstock@xxxxxxxxx recently wrote...
> >> Maybe I'm missing something (quite possible), but you can make
> the
> >> work happen autogically by using http headers.
>
> >> header("Content-type: application/octet-stream");
> >> header("Content-Disposition: attachment;
> filename=excelfile.xls");
>
> >> Replace excelfile.xls with whatever you want the filename to be
>
> >> Then write out your table as you would normally. the result
> should be
> >> an excel file either downloaded or opened in the browser,
> depending
> >> on the browser settings.David

=====
Mark Weinstock