Re: Applications using multiple databases

Hello!

In my opinion what your conclusion is sounds correct.
I would not have a system that creates a new database
for each and every client.

Why?

If the sollution is hosted on a "random" ISP, most of
theese does not allow the creation of new databases.
However, surtain ISP have packages where you can
have multiple databases, but often not more than 5 in
total. This would in most circumstances result in you
only having 5 customers in each installation.

If you are running the system on your own server,
there are no problems with this, as you controll the
system and can create as many databases as you
would want.

On the other hand you could solve this by instead of
creating unique databases for each client, prefix the
tables inside the database with the clients username.
This would result in alot of tables, but again would
give you access to every server in the world that has
mySQL database available -> And it would be easy
to backup since you only have just 1 database to
backup.

It is however, in my opinion, smart to have seperate
tables and such for each end every customer. Should
there be a corruption somewhere, atleast it wont effect
all the clients, but only 1 client. (Aslong as its not the
main software that "destroys/deletes" everything in a
faulty SQL statement.

My applications are done a little different, as I have
solved this by installing a seperate installation for each
customer. To protect my code I have purchased IonCube
Encoder, which encrypts the code and renders it useless
for reverse engineering. :) You might want to do the same.

Kim Steinhaug