keyword searching

Hello,

I am selecting a field in a database called description for keyword
searching.  The field contains names of people, states, years, etc.  When
someone searches for say "holmes north carolina" the query searches for
exactly that, fields which have "holmes north carolina", and not fields
that contaim holmes, north, and carolina.  So I run a str_replace to
replace all spaces with *, which turns it into "holmes*north*carolina",
but say that north carolina is before holmes in the field, it won't return
those fields (it only returns fields in which holmes is infront of north
carolina).  So how can I have it return all fields which contain all
the words holmes, north, and carolina in any order, in that field?