CONVERT STRING VARIABLES TO DATES, THEN COMPARE (HOW?)

Apache on NT using MS SQL Srvr 2000
PHP 4.03pl1

I return these dates into strings and now I want to compare my database date to see if it is later than today's date. Pretty sure my "Expires" field is a string:

Here is the "Expires" field from the SQL:
Convert(varchar, DATEADD(Year,3,DateCertified),101) AS Expires

Here is my PHP code trying to compare dates:

$today = date("m/d/Y");

   If ($today < odbc_result($data,"Expires"))
    {
    }
   Else
    {
    }

Sure could use a simple solution to a simple problem that has me simply confounded.