RE: What do you call the end-user?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tedd Sperling [mailto:tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:27 PM
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx General
Subject:  What do you call the end-user?

Hi gang:

I can't wait for tomorrow -- so here's my off-topic post today.

First question:

What do you call the people who ultimately use your code?

I call them the "end-user", but others have stated other terms, such as
"customer" or "user".

Second question:

Are you concerned with their ("whomever") experience in using your code?

This question transcends your code working correctly, accurately, and
securely -- no need to comment on those aspects. But rather more
specifically do you consider how easily your "whomever" can use your work
efforts?

As you may have guessed - I just attended a UX conference and they provide
an interesting perspective on UX. I was wondering how php developers
typically address the subject.

Cheers,

tedd

I call them the GUI between the Chair and the Key board (behind the
scenes)!!!!!
To their face/documented I call them the "End-user" I do however break this
down into "tier level access users" depending on access desires.

>From straw dog to functioning portal the (easy, flow, and navigation) is
always designed for the most novice of users is HIGH priority.
This area gets a little hairy with different levels of knowledge are
concerns. Some want a point to point (Walk Trough scenario) and others want
more complex features as options.

Reports, in my mind the most complex portion of any development because of
the mash of conceptual ideas of what the end product should look like. These
areas are rarely novice compliant, because of the sheer complexity of
filtering options desired. I stick to a "Canned Report" approach when
dealing with novice end-users.

My goal in life has been to develop the ultimate portal that thinks for you
and less dependent on your interactions. I am close to finishing a learning
module that learns from your interactions and navigates according to your
past history. But that is for another time....