IE9 Large Post Hangs for 5 Minutes Plus

I'm working on an issue with IE9. I have a web app that posts a multipart form via Ajax. The content-length is about 1MB often larger (uploading GPS tracks). Chrome, Safari and Firefox all make the POST request then immediately (after the POST completes receives the response). IE on the other hand seems to hold on to the connection for up to five minutes (sometimes more). On Apache, the request eventually completes; on Nginx, the request never makes it to the php-fpm process.

ON Nginx I have the keep alives set to 65 seconds. Apache the keep alives are turned off (since I'm running mod_php under mpm-prefork).

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Chris Cowan