Re: strict nannying ...

On 15 Apr 2012, at 11:44, Lester Caine wrote:

> I've got a machine set up with PHP5.4 and left the strict errors showing, and I'm falling at the first hurdle :)
>
> The functions for generating URL's are used both statically and as part of the class. STRICT complains because they are not marked 'static' ( and I'm assuming 'public static' is the correct addition here ) but then of cause the $this fallback fails because '$this' is not allowed IN the static use of the function?
>
> How do others get around this problem? I've some 120 static instances to fix in parallel with about the same number of class uses across about 40 odd functions. Do I really have to duplicate the code and rename every static use?

If the class can be used both statically and as an instance why is it referring to $this? When called statically $this will not exist.

To refer to the class when in a static method use self...

<?php
class StaticClass
{
  public static $staticVariable = 1234;

  public static function staticMethod()
  {
    return self::otherStaticMethod();
  }

  public static function otherStaticMethod()
  {
    return self::$staticVariable;
  }
}