Help!

I've just set up my Apache server with mySql and PHP, and for the most part
everything works fine, except:

I can't embed PHP in an HTML file  (if my server starts up with INDEX.HTML I
can't do anything with PHP, is this possible, or am I just off the deepend
here?)

Also, when I run a PHP file, it doesn't seem to pay any attention to the \n
in the echo or print statements.  I copied the examples straight from the
examples on PHP.Net, and I installed everything exactly as the instructions
said to, but from reading all the comments and such, it appears I'm the only
one having these problems?  What's going on/what am I doing wrong?