Re: PF members' exhibit on April 07, 2014

Thank you

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 6:07 AM, Peeter Vissak <pv@xxxxxx> wrote:
Thank You, guys!

After a really long while I feel an 'impostponable' urge to write a review (and yes, I'm still alive).
I usually peek the gallery under cover, at night, like the tawny owl, that lives here close by. Now it's full-winged spring, the owl is hooting and, bizarre or not, I do almost the same.

This time the body of works kept me excited from cover to cover and that usually doesn't happen all the time. Maybe there is some kind of cumulative effect when one work leads to the other, each and every of them being a piece of a broader concept.
I don't know, but that's what happened.

My own mental state?

Yesterday I was doing some journalistic work. Being a part-time editor of the village community newspaper I visited the regional village theatres'  festival and my mind got ready to critique :)

Anyhow - I liked the gallery generally, but there are some certain points, where I myself would have done it in a different way, but I hope the authors do not mind, because it's just me.

>               John Palcewski - Propinquity

Tight, emotional, sunny and believable shot, but the light should have been composed (or post-processed) a little bit differently. Now the shaded center loses its tension. Yes - Her face is seductively bathing in the Sun, but His slightly diabolic bewhiskered profile deserves more contrast.

>               Dan Mitchell - The Waiting Room

The lateral symmetry works fine, but the viewpoint lacks tension. The composition is somewhat 'leaking' in the foreground. Maybe lower point would have worked better. But yes - the waiting room is waiting for waiting people :)

>               Julia Yashina - Goth girl

Hmm, where's Tyra?
The model isn't bad, but her compact right hand makes the figure lose its natural ranginess, while the right exposed shoulder and neck dissolve in the background. The angle should have been corrected according to the dark and light pattern of the buildings. Another option would have been more clearly expressed difference between the skin-tone and the thin air of the background, as the shoulder definitely is the main reference point.
Bokeh is also almost OK, but longer lens or wider aperture would have made it even better.
You must have eyes each side of You head (like the spider) to have control over all variables :)

>               Bob McCulloch - Dock of the Bay

Magic paralyzing light and colours. I'd liked to see it in landscape format. Just as a compositional contrast against the upright dock construction. More light, more magic!

>               Rob Talbot -

Exciting, gripping motif! There's a narrative hidden in the frame. Maybe little bit cropping from the lowest foreground?

>               Don Roberts - Ice is Nice

We all do know - indeed it is!
It usually drives me crazy when I see the surface of the cracks and progressions of frozen captivated bubbles emerging from somewhere deep, making the ice almost 3,5D, but I cannot retell the story because my language is only 2D.
In this picture different dues add the dimensionality. Good work!

>               Pini Vollach - Architecture Detail = Abstract.

You gradually come closer and closer to the essence of things. Just give some brief hints to nurture the imaginativeness of the audience and the reality is reconstructed in our head. Right or wrong - that does not matter - the real reality is beyond our comprehension. The picture must be the keyhole, as there always lives a tiny lockpick inside us.

>               Emily Ferguson - Spring yard cleanup.

Drifting, drifting, drifting ... away. So elusively dynamic!
Smoke, fire, water - mesolithic atavisms still circulating in our DNA.

>               Art Faul - Vault, First National Bank of Frenchman Flat, June 24, 1957

The money is gone, yeah! But the detail, the sharpness, the tonal latitude - they never vaporize from 6X7 Agfapan!
"Going into the picture" was a fine-art analysis TV show years ago, but I like to use the term for MF and LF photography.

>               Anonymous - Face 01

How big are the pupils before the light hits the dark bottom of the eye!
Where is "the little bird" says the _expression_.
I'm afraid the digital era has killed the major part of that portrait-camera-birds population.

That ws it!

One more time: thank You! It was a nice weekend!

Peeter

--
Please visit
https://sites.google.com/site/rjmccullochphotographer/