Re: exposure issues

Hey thanks everyone for all your comments - some useful suggestions. I kind of thought much the same with regard to going with the longer exposure, rather than the shorter, but hadn't thought of adjusting the aperture (made slightly complicated that I'm shooting with flash too and exposing for that...guess I can just alter the power coming out of the flash head).

On the whole though, I'm not entirely sure I trust this lens...I've done a couple of test shots with it and the first batch of negs look a little thin...just shot a couple more today so will see how they come back. Jan, I would send it off to your man in Chicago but I'm actually based in Leeds, England, so that may be a little far... I guess I can find someone round here to look at it, but I'm thinking, just to be on the safe side, I might just get another lens...kind of fancy something just a little wider than standard anyway. The rest of the camera seems fairly tight and clean, and I've shot some Polaroids through it too and there don't seem to be any light leakages.

Interesting to refer back to the thread about whether digital is really enjoyable or not...I guess I love the safety of shooting digital, as well as the process (yes, there is still process in digital I think) but somehow using this old beast of a 5x4...looking at an image upside down and back to front, through a ground glass screen just feels a little more exciting than looking through my DSLR somehow... Maybe that's because I know that unless I'm really concentrating on each step of what I'm doing, I will mess it up somehow, and there will be no chance to rectify it in photoshop's RAW window!

Thanks again, will let yo know how I get on.

Cheers,
Jonathan.
--
Jonathan Turner, Photographer e: pictures@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx t: 07796 470573 w: www.jonathan-turner.com