Question for the group.

Hello, everyone.

I have a question and thought I would ask for your opinions.

I've been shopping for a new camera. I am leaning towards a Canon camera because I already have a substantial investment in Canon accessories (lenses, flash units and others). One other requirement is that the camera should have a full frame sensor. The two cameras I seem to have liked the most are the 6D and 5D MK III. They both appear to have advantages and disadvantages. The following are the qualities I like about each:

6D

1. Price
2. Weight (very light)
3. Size (reasonably compact and easy to handle / carry)
4. Built-in Wi-Fi
5. Built-in GPS
6. Continuous auto-focus

5D MK III

1. Body construction (alloy and seals)
2. Stronger built, construction
3. Improved metering system
4. Speed

I am not an action or sports photographer so speed is of (very) limited value to me. Most of my photography is of stationary or near stationary subjects or medical/dental macro/close-up photography. I often have the camera set-up with a macro flash, macro lens, and a battery attachment fixed to the tripod screw and connected to the flash to provide faster recycling times. All these accessories add quite a bit of weight to the camera so it is easy to see why weight is important to me. My previous camera, a 1Ds MK II, was very heavy with all these accessories to the point that it made shooting often unpleasant and cumbersome.

My initial reaction is to go with the 6D for the price, the weight and the built-in features (Wi-Fi and GPS). I can't think of one thing the 5D MK III would do for me that couldn't be duplicated by the 6D. However, I would like to hear pros and cons from those who have experience with one or both of these cameras.

Any input or suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Joseph.