Re: PF members exhibit on 03-17-12

My thoughts about the PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space which was updated March 17, 2012, and currently on display at http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html.

Rob Talbot - Flower

VERY nice colors, but the flower looks sterile or even dead. The blue background detracts rather than adds. Perhaps a bit more light on the side facing the camera would illuminate the black areas of the green and thus result in a bit of definition or perhaps even depth in that area. The rimlight adds a nice touch.

Emily L. Ferguson - Lucy Vincent Beach, Chilmark, MA

While I do like the serpiginous edges of the foreground tide, the overall lack of contrast of the image leaves a rather flat feeling to the photo. The large rocks in the midground compete with the tidal edge for dominance and makes the subject of the photo a bit too ambiguous for me.

Bob McCulloch - Lifeboat

Pretty colors, especially on the sunny side of the boat. The big, red amorphous background mass on the right however almost blends in to the lifeboat and adds a bit of confusion for me. The hardware and line at the front of the boat add wonderful interest.

Don Roberts - Kyoto Train Station

There is much to like in this image, but the lack of detail (at least on my monitor) in the stairs at the bottom is distracting, probably because it consumes at 20 percent of the photo. The walkway or girder that is silhouetted from the top center to the left side of the image works because it is a silhouette.

Howard Leigh - The Ravages of Time

Without the caption, I got a completely different feeling from the triptych. The center image does show an "alert and vital" woman, but it is obviously posed. The two side images show a somewhat older woman, but the left photo shows me a candid of a woman in thought. On the right is an older woman looking slightly up at the camera with a grab shot look. I wonder what would have happened if the camera would have been slightly lower. What the photographer saw and what I see are two different things. The devastation doesn't come through, although the passage of time does. This is a very interesting series. I like it a lot.

Thanks to all who contributed as well as Andy and Rosita who made it possible.

rand