Re: PF members exhibit on 04-FEB-12

Lea Murphy - Josh with a curl   When I was a boy I often felt what I
imagine this little one was feeling when he faced the camera.  This is
an excellent example of the power of selective focus, the careful
manipulation of depth of field.  It emphasizes the part of the image
that carries the greatest impact.   Excellent work.

Trevor Cunningham - sprout   Sorry to disappoint, but this picture
does not give rise to (ahem!) phallic imagery, but rather reminds me
of a collection of Lady Fingers.  In Italy they're called savoiardi,
meaning from Savoy, and I understand that in England they're known as
sponge-fingers, trifle sponges, or boudoir biscuits.

Bob McCulloch - Pier   This scene has a lot of dramatic possibility,
but then the unnecessary horizon tilt and lack of overall sharpness
unfortunately suggest carelessness.   (Whereas Lea's selective focus
above does the opposite!)

Jim Snarski - Flying Colors  Numerous things about this turn me off.
One is the busy background which is distracting.   Another is the
wholly unnecessary caption.  Bird lovers will recognize the species,
the rest of us will see two birds.  Camera, lens, the sliding glass
door, etc., add nothing.  And probably most annoying (to nitpicker me
anyway) is the incorrect use of "it's" instead of "its."

Sherie Taylor - Ferris Wheel    In an earlier gallery someone said
something to the effect that photographs of sunrises or sunsets are
never like what the photographer sees when he/she clicks the shutter.
 In this instance, the wheel and its reflection in the water must
have looked spectacular, but somehow the resulting image is rather
ho-hum.

Christopher Strevens - St Pauls from Blackfriars  Once again, it's
difficult to know what to make of Dr. Strevens's images and words.
Surely he knows that overriding the camera's auto function and
manually stopping down would have prevented the burn-out.  But then
the foreground would have been underexposed.    Oh, well.  Maybe he’s
right after all.

Andrew Davidhazy - Portrait   Absolutely fascinating, all around!
Fabulous nude study, truly unique.  The complex process is almost as
interesting.