RE: Lightroom question

What you described is exactly what I suspected.  The work personal thing makes sense.  I am not short of ram (at least I don't think I am ) so I will move forward with the single catalog this evening.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Lightroom question
From: Lea Murphy <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, December 08, 2011 11:15 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I use two...one for work and one or personal but I only split them earlier this year and ive neeb using LR for about five years. I like it just fine as my catalogs are very separate and easily identifiable as such. I split them because of speed; I have over 60,000 images in personal and about that many in work. Lightroom should be able to handle them combined with ease but it couldn't/didn't. So in the interest in getting along with my work I split them. It works like a charm for me but it was simpler when they were one. Simpler meaning only that I didn't have to close one catalog to open another...it's not hard, just a step that as to be done.

All that being said, I have heard of catalogs with hundreds of thousands of images in them running just fine. I do believe mine was a glitch but I, and other tech folks, couldn't find it so splitting made the most sense.

We do know it wasn't a ram issue...I have 22 gigs.

Keep it one as long as you can. You'll know when you can't.

Lea

the most wonderful things in life aren't things