Re: Why?

Shoot Raw plus Large-Fine JPEG. The best of both worlds.

I teach my student to think of a a raw file as a black and white image with the
colour info in a seperate bag.
Just like food... you have all the raw meat and potatos and the spices in a
sepertae bag. You must cook them up in the computer.

We can choose to let the camera do the cooking and accept the pre-cooked image
which, like food, can never be uncooked.
Or we can cook it ourselves in the Raw converter, over and over again because
we always have all the raw ingredients. in which case we get just the yummy
result we want.

If that's too technical then:
Each RAW pixel only has a single colour's information... RED, or GREEN or BLUE.

What we do when we convert it to a PSD or TIFF or JPEG, is to add 2 more
colours to each pixel so that it becomes red PLUS green PLUS blue. Hence an RGB
pixel

 How we do that can be controlled in the Raw interface.

Herschel

--- Marilyn <marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Such fast responses - thank you so much (I'll have to try stamping my foot
> more often {:->).
>
> I' printing out your suggestions and I'll try each one.  I think I would
> rather shoot in RAW, then tweak the photos in a program.  I've found I like
> the look of some of the photographs while still in the RAW stage and I'd
> hate to lose that option.
>
> I appreciate all the help.
>
> Marilyn
> "The point isn't how close you can get to the animal, for instance.  Most of
> my good pictures are ones where the animal is small.  It's a spiritual
> thing.  Out of thousands of pictures, a precious few work.  Very few capture
> the essence."
>
> Jim Brandenburg, wildlife photographer and artist including "Brother Wolf."

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,
Higher College of Technology
Muscat