Re: no question too stupid?

Unfortunately (or fortunately!) there is no 'standard' digital conversion though. If you're a Canon user, you could pick a body out of your bag and be 1.0x, 1.3x or even 1.6x. Nikon has been kind (or unkind) enough to stay at 1.5x but Olympus is 2.0x. See what I mean? If it was the same for everyone, then we could probably settle in and eventually stop talking about '35mm equivalent focal length' but until there is a standard (which there may never be), we'll all need a point of reference and 35mm is where that is.

-Tim
www.imagefactoryphotography.com