From: Emmy Smith
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 8:22 AM
Subject: Re: Illegal street photography

i would like to be removed from this forum...where do i email?
On Jan 21, 2005, at 10:45 AM, Bob Blakely wrote:

It wasn't the tax per se, it was the king's denial of representation in Parliament that infuriated some folks here at the time. That the King would tax us without that representation was the last straw, hence the cry heard often in "the colonies" prior to the war, "No taxation without representation!" The tax on tea required of the colonists was considered most onerous and was the target of a "rabble rouser" named Samual Adams. It was he and his band of "The Sons of Liberty" that dressed as indians, boarded British merchant ships in Boston harbor, and threw all the tea overboard. This became known over here as "The Boston Tea Party." Samual Adams was quite the orator and known for his firey speaches containing such phrases as:

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
-Samuel Adams, speech at the Philadelphia State House, August 1, 1776

Sam Adams was a brewer and methinks he may probably have just preferred that folks drink his beer instead. Today there is a small(er) brewery here in the US that claims to brew it's beer after Sam Adams fashion, and is named for him. Somewhere I have photos of the brewery. Sam Adams beer is not bad at all, for American beer, that is, though it is said that *beer* has not been brewed in the US for decades. It is much better than that Budwieser swill, though...

Regards,
Bob...
From: TERRYAKING@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 21/1/05 2:22:08 am, Bob@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Now, it was crap similar to this that caused us to split from Merry Ol'
>>England some 229 years ago. Later, our English friends went through a
>>transformation and liberty bloomed. Now they're at it (prohibitions
>>against
>>nearly everything) again.

I am have heard it said by US friends that the reason for the split  from merry old England was that you did not want to pay your taxes to pay for wars the UK had fought on behalf of the colonies.

You are right  though in some respects. We are not keen on gun cultures.  But then our police do not carry guns as a matter of course.

But these things are never that simple.

Terry