Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Primary Key

Ahhh, that's what I was missing... thank-you. (just launched, we'll see how that one goes).

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Elliot <yields.falsehood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2013-11-21 15:40, Joey Quinn wrote:
I have a table (5 columns) with approximately 670 million rows. It has had an index (unique) on an inet column from the beginning. Today I added a primary key constraint based on the same column thinking that since it already had an index, this would be a relatively quick operation. That does not appear to be case. It has gone into a "not responding" status for an hour or so now. As a point of reference, I'm using 9.3 on a 64 bit Windows Server 2008 (32 GB ram) and inserts so far have taken 6 1/2 - 7 minutes for each batch of 16.7 million rows.

Other than not creating the primary key at the beginning, did I do anything wrong? and can I reasonably expect the current operation to finish?

Joey

I'm guessing you're creating the primary key without designating your current unique index as the index to use for the constraint.
Mark your column as not null if it isn't already then do an "alter table table-name add primary key using index whatever-the-name-of-your-extant-unique-index-is".
Otherwise you're building another separate index for that constraint, which you don't need to do.