Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Linux Distribution Preferences?

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Chris Ernst <cernst@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've seen the opinion of "avoid Ubuntu like the plague" expressed many
> times, but it is never followed up with any solid reasoning.  Can you (or
> anyone else) give specific details on exactly why you believe Ubuntu should
> be avoided?

I switched from Ubuntu to Debian a while ago, mainly on account of the
desktop environment, but moving servers as well for consistency.
Ubuntu has its advantages. At the moment, I'm half way through
patching a Debian system to the latest kernel and a recent Upstart
(rather than sysvinit), but Ubuntu already comes with a fairly recent
kernel and Upstart is the default.

So far, I haven't seen any particular reason to detest Ubuntu or
Debian. Both of them quite happily run everything I want, although
once it's been a year or two since the OS release, there's a strong
tendency to build stuff from source rather than rely on the aptitude
repositories - the repos lag a bit. But I'm okay with that. Maybe it's
an issue for other situations, though, in which case it's a
recommendation for Ubuntu probably.

In terms of PostgreSQL, I've always been using the OpenSCG package,
and have had no problems whatsoever (9.1).

ChrisA