Search Postgresql Archives

Re: UNION and pg_restore

Bryan Lee Nuse <nuse@xxxxxxx> writes:
>> Now you're doubtless wondering why Postgres doesn't dodge this ambiguity
>> for you.

> This is exactly what I was wondering, of course.  And I follow the reasoning behind why it cannot, at present.  If Postgres can't ensure that the view definition is valid SQL, though, what about the (seemingly more manageable) idea of providing some kind of notice when that definition is not re-loadable?  Perhaps pg_dump could do this?

I spent considerable time thinking about this last week, and have a
draft patch that fixes this issue and some related ones:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2012-12/msg01694.php
So hopefully this hazard will be gone in 9.3.  I doubt we'd risk
back-patching the change though.

			regards, tom lane